Mam’s One Pot Wonder – Spicy Chilli Chicken
3 Lean Chicken Breasts (Chopped into small pieces)
1 Tin of Chopped Plum Tomatoes
2 Large Peppers (Green and Red - Chopped into 2cm pieces)
125g of Button Mushrooms (Cut into quarters)
1 Medium Size Onion (Finely chopped)
1 Clove of Garlic (Or 5 twists of a dried garlic grinder)
3 Tablespoons of Sweetcorn
3 Tablespoons of Peas
1 Tablespoon of Mixed Herbs
2 Teaspoons of Chopped Red Chillies in White Wine Vinegar
Salt and Black Pepper
1 squeeze of red chilli paste
2 Beef Oxo’s
1 Chicken Stock Cube
1 Calorie Fry Spray
Dinner – Half a Cup of Long Grain Rice
Lunch – Lettuce, Soft Tortilla Bowels, Sprinkling of Grated Cheese
1. Wash, chop and peel the mushrooms, onions and peppers, removing all the seeds.
2. Remove any fat from the chicken breasts and cut into small cubes.
3. Boil the kettle and add 150mls of the boiling water to the measuring jug and add the chicken stock cube and allow to dissolve.
1. Give the Wok or Saucepan 4-5 squirts of the 1 Calorie Fry Spray and heat the pan on a medium - hot heat on the cooker (No. 6 or 7 on the dial if the maximum is 10).
2. Add the chopped chicken breast pieces and allow to cook thoroughly, gently moving them around the pan as required.
3. Add the salt, black pepper, mixed herbs, garlic and chillies in white wine vinegar while the chicken is cooking.
4. When the chicken is almost cooked, add the chopped peppers and mushrooms.
5. As they begin to cook, add in the finely onions gradually.
6. Next add in the squeeze of chilli paste and the peas and sweetcorn.
7. Keep stirring the chicken and vegetables around the pan gently so they don’t stick to the bottom. (If they begin to stick, turn the heat down slightly.)
8. Add in the tin of chopped tomatoes and pour in the chicken stock from the measuring jug.
9. Keep stirring the chicken and vegetables and then crumble the two oxo’s into the pan.
10. Make sure the oxo’s are well stirred in and allow the pan to bubble for 5-10 minutes.
11. Then turn down the heat to about 4 or 5 on the cooker and allow to simmer for a further 10-15 minutes.
12. While the one pot wonder is simmering, in another saucepan add boiling water to the long grain rice and a pinch of salt. Allow to boil and then simmer until the rice is light and fluffy. Drain the water from the saucepan and strain the rice, rinsing and draining with fresh boiling water from the kettle.
Place the rice onto a serving plate and make a hole in the middle of the rice.
Add some chicken, vegetables and sauce from the first pan and fill the hole.
Put some lettuce leaves in the bottom of the soft tortilla bowl, fill with the chicken and vegetable mixture and sprinkle some grated cheese on top.